Read & Publish Open Access initiative
The Company of Biologists has been committed to Open Access since 2004 because we believe that immediate and free availability of high-quality research helps us to achieve our mission of advancing excellence in the biological and biomedical sciences worldwide.
We were one of the first not-for-profit journal publishers to launch a cost-neutral Read & Publish initiative and over 500 institutions in 39 countries are participating.
We are delighted that the initiative is continuing to go from strength to strength and that the number of participating institutions more than doubled from June 2021 to June 2022. Read the announcement.
What are Read & Publish agreements?
Available to libraries and library consortia for a single annual fee, our standard Read & Publish agreements offer unlimited “read” access to our three subscription journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science and Journal of Experimental Biology – plus uncapped fee-free Open Access publishing of research articles.
Libraries can also choose to include our two fully Open Access journals – Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open – in their Read & Publish agreement.
What are the benefits of Read & Publish agreements?
- unlimited access to our three subscription journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science and Journal of Experimental Biology – including the full archive dating back to 1853 (even if your library does not currently subscribe to them all)
- uncapped fee-free publishing of Open Access research articles for all corresponding authors under CC BY licence terms, with authors retaining copyright in our subscription journals or our subscription journals plus our Open Access journals – Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open
- compliant with funder mandates including Plan S
- automatic recognition of corresponding authors and straightforward submission process
- transparent, cost-neutral pricing calculated on the basis of current subscription spend plus the annual average APC spend (if any) over the last three years
- single fee covers both reading and publishing and multi-year agreements are available
- switching from a subscription to a Read & Publish agreement is straightforward
Find out more
- Participating institutions and library consortia
- Information for libraries
- Information for library consortia
- Our commitment to price transparency
- Information for researchers and authors, including a step-by-step guide for corresponding authors
- Read & Publish and Open Access video collection
Any questions? Please contact us.