About Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grants
To celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2023, Journal of Experimental Biology launched two new grants to support junior faculty staff: Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grants and Early-Career Researcher (ECR) Visiting Fellowships.
Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grants aim to support junior faculty staff (e.g. Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Group Leader, Principal Investigator) to travel to another institution (University, Research Centre, Non-Governmental Organisation or Industry Partner Organisation) for up to seven days to initiate a new research collaboration and develop, write and submit a major grant application for collaborative research.
Each grant is a maximum of £2,000 (or currency equivalent) and can be used towards travel to the collaborator’s institute, and accommodation and subsistence during the visit.
Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grants
Applicants must be within five years of setting up their first lab/research group and be working in the field of experimental biology relating to animal comparative physiology or biomechanics.
Each application will be evaluated on the excellence of the candidate as well as benefits and outcomes from the proposed partnership, merit of the research proposal to be submitted to a major funding body, and alignment of the proposal to the core remit of Journal of Experimental Biology.
Note: We are unable to pay awards to recipients in jurisdictions, countries or regions of the world subject to sanctions, embargoes or other political trade restrictions put in place by the United Nations, the EU or the UK.
- Applications will be considered only from junior faculty staff members (e.g. Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Group Leader, Principal Research Investigator) within five years (excluding any career breaks) of their first faculty position.
- Applicants must be working in the field of experimental biology relating to animal comparative physiology or biomechanics.
- Grants do not support attendance at scientific meetings, conferences or training courses.
- Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grants can be awarded once only to an applicant.
- Applicants cannot apply for both a Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grant and an ECR Visiting Fellowship within a 12-month period.
- If an application is unsuccessful, the applicant cannot reapply within 12 months (i.e. they may not reapply in the following funding round).
- The date of travel must occur within six months of funding being awarded.
- Applications will not be considered retrospectively.
- The grant only applies to new collaborations; existing research collaborations will not be supported.
Guidelines for completing the application:
- The application form and all supporting documents must be completed in English, and letters of support must be on institutional headed paper and signed.
- The total amount requested should not exceed £2,000.
- Expenses include travel, accommodation, subsistence and visa fees. Travel insurance costs should not be included in the expenses.
- Please upload the following documents to your application:
- letter of employment status from your Head of Department/School
- letter of support from your host research collaborator
- Curriculum Vitae
- publication list
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that they meet the criteria required for the grant.
Terms and conditions for successful applicants:
- If your application is successful, you will be required to sign our Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grant Agreement.
- The date of the collaborative visit must occur within six months of funding being awarded.
- If for any reason the visit is delayed beyond six months of the award, you must seek permission to extend the funding.
- If the visit does not go ahead, the funds allocated will need to be returned, in full.
- Any unspent funds must be returned within one month of the end of the visit.
- You must keep all receipts related to your visit. These must be scanned and uploaded via the online application portal within one month of the end of your visit.
- You must provide at least two bright, clear photographs and a 300–500-word summary of the outcomes of your visit within three months of return from the collaborator’s lab.
Deadline dates for applications and applicants handbook
- 3 June 2024 (for travel after 2 July 2024)
- 1 December 2024 (for travel after 2 January 2025)
Please submit your application in plenty of time as it can take up to four weeks from the deadline date to reach a decision.
Our applicant handbook provides further useful information on the application process.
- Can I apply for a Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grant even if I already have an existing collaboration or partnership with the proposed researcher?
- Do supporting letters have to be signed?
- What information needs to be included in the Letter of Status from my Head of Department/School?
- Can my Head of Department/School send you their letter directly?
- Is it acceptable to complete the application with estimated costs for expenses as I don’t know the exact costs at this stage?
- If I am awarded a Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grant, will I get the funding before I go on my visit?
- If my application is successful, will you publish the details of my submission?
- Would you like the original receipts mailed to you or can I scan them and send you copies electronically?
- I assume any amount of money that I can’t explain with receipts will have to be returned?
- Will I have an answer about the result of my application even if it is negative?
- Are career interruptions (e.g. parental leave, illness, carer’s responsibilities) taken into consideration?
- How does a Research Partnership Kickstart Travel Grant differ from an ECR Visiting Fellowship?