Welcome to our library hub
The Company of Biologists is a not-for-profit journal publisher with a mission to advance excellence in the biological and biomedical sciences.
We partner with libraries and library consortia worldwide to maximise the dissemination of high-quality research.
We publish five specialist peer-reviewed journals:
- three hybrid journals: Development, Journal of Cell Science and Journal of Experimental Biology
- two Open Access journals: Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open.
Read & Publish Open Access agreements
We were one of the first not-for-profit publishers to launch a cost-neutral Read & Publish initiative. Since launch in November 2019, we have signed Read & Publish and other transformative Open Access agreements with ten library consortia and over 600 institutions in 40 countries are now participating.
Our standard Read & Publish agreements offer:
- unlimited access to all our hybrid journals and their archives dating back to 1853
- uncapped, immediate and fee-free Open Access publication of research articles for corresponding authors in our hybrid journals plus our Open Access journals
In addition, we are piloting variations of our standard Read & Publish model with the Max Planck Digital Library and the University of California.
Online-only subscriptions and combined print/online subscriptions to Development, Journal of Cell Science and Journal of Experimental Biology are available to institutions.
- Find out more about institutional subscriptions
- See our Subscriptions FAQ for answers to questions about institutional subscriptions including pricing, subscriber services, access and licensing