Small Meeting Grants
We welcome applications for grants of up to £400 to cover the cost of running a small meeting, either in-person or virtually, within the fields of our journals. This would normally be a local meeting taking place on one day and with a maximum budget of £1,000.
Before submitting your application, please read the Small Meeting Grant applicant handbook for full details about the grant, application guidelines, and terms and conditions.
We welcome applications for Small Meeting Grants on a rolling basis.
- Applications are assessed on the scientific quality of the meeting.
- The individual who completes the application form must be the organiser of the meeting.
- Although there is no restriction on nationality, we are unable to pay awards to recipients in jurisdictions, countries or regions of the world subject to sanctions, embargoes or other political trade restrictions put in place by the United Nations, the EU or the UK.
- Grants cannot be awarded retrospectively.
- We aim to inform applicants of the outcome of their funding request within four to five weeks following receipt of the application.
- Larger meetings with total budgets of greater than £1,000
- Any aspects of larger meetings
- Events discussing topics not covered by our journals
- Social events including dinners, refreshments and networking
- Delegation/registration fees
- Training, tuition or course fees
- Abstract books, prizes etc
Funds will be paid direct to an institutional bank account, or a designated account created for the purpose of the meeting, once the grant has been approved. We are unable to make transfers into an individual’s personal bank account.
We require you acknowledge receipt of grant funds.
Awarded funds must be returned in full if for any reason the meeting is not held.
Small Meeting Grant funds can only be used to support the meeting specified in the application.
As this funding is a grant/donation and not sponsorship, we do not accept an invoice.
We require you to acknowledge The Company of Biologists’ contribution to your meeting on your website and in any printed material circulated about the event. This should include our company name ‘The Company of Biologists’, our company logo and our web address (biologists.com)
- Successful applicants will be required to provide a short report within 3 months of the meeting taking place.
- We may use material from Small Meeting Grant reports on our website, social media and other promotional materials. If you have any concerns about the use of your material, please let us know in advance.
- Your report will be retained for at least seven years and may be inspected by the Charity Commission.