Scientific Meeting Grants
Scientific Meeting Grants of up to £6,000 are available to help finance a range of charitable activities including (but not limited to) meetings, workshops, and conferences in the fields relevant to our journals in order to encourage and support scientific interaction.
Grants can be used to cover expenses such as a plenary or keynote speaker, to assist with travel for early career scientists, or to reduce (or waive) registration fees.
Grants are typically awarded on a sliding scale — for example meetings with fewer than 100 people may receive up to £2,000, whereas a meeting with 400 people may receive £4,000.
Grants in excess of £6,000 are only awarded in very exceptional circumstances.
We encourage organisers to include a virtual element in their event, making them more accessible to a larger and more diverse audience and promoting inclusivity, accessibility, and sustainability.
Full details about applying for a Scientific Meeting Grant (including application deadlines and terms and conditions) are available here.
The Applicant Handbook is available here.
Scientific Meeting Grants are not available for the following:
- Attendance at scientific meetings, conferences, or training courses
- Expenditure on capital equipment and capital building proposal
- Undergraduate expeditions and courses
- Prizes (e.g. posters)
- Social/political networking
- Conference dinners/social events/refreshment breaks
- Tuition fees
- Payments for the employment of staff
- Abstract books
- Publishing expenses (e.g. page charges)
- Series of meetings year on year
- Intra-institutional events (e.g. departmental seminars, etc.)
- Core costs (i.e. overheads)
- Field excursion costs for summer post-grad schools/courses
- Website management