Journal platform migration
On Thursday 15 April 2021, the five prestigious journals of The Company of Biologists are moving to the hosting platform of Silverchair. This move enables us to improve user experience and to maximise the discoverability of our content for the biological community.
In order for the move to go as smoothly as possible, we have provided several resources for you below. We look forward to the move and the benefits it will bring all of our customers, librarians, readers and authors.
FAQs and checklist for librarians
Visit the FAQ page in our library hub to find all migration-related questions specifically aimed at helping our institutional customers. There is also an easy-to-use checklist summarising what librarians need to do pre- and post-migration.
- Why is The Company of Biologists moving to a new platform?
The Company of Biologists regularly reviews its agreements with all its partners as part of a due diligence process. After careful consideration and a thorough tender process, the decision was made to move the hosting of our five prestigious journals to the Silverchair platform. By doing so we aim to improve user experience and maximise the discoverability of the journals’ content for the biological community.
- When is the move going to happen?
The move is scheduled to take place on Thursday 15 April 2021, in the afternoon (UK time).
- Will the journal URLs change?
Yes, new URLs will be in place once the journals move to the new platform. The new URLs will be:
- Development: https://journals.biologists.com/dev
- Journal of Cell Science: https://journals.biologists.com/jcs
- Journal of Experimental Biology: https://journals.biologists.com/jeb
- Disease Models & Mechanisms: https://journals.biologists.com/dmm
- Biology Open: https://journals.biologists.com/bio
- Will there be any changes to browser support, accessibility, mobile access?
There will be no changes to browser support and mobile access. The move to the Silverchair platform will offer several improvements to accessibility.
The new platform is optimised for modern browsers. If you are currently using Internet Explorer we encourage you to upgrade to Edge, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari (for Mac users) for a better user experience.
- How does the move to a new platform impact linking from reading lists, bookmarked links, library catalogues, etc?
Redirects will be in place, but we recommend updating links to the new structure as soon as possible.
- Will there be any changes to DOIs? Will the DOI registry be updated to reflect new URLs?
No changes will be made to the DOIs, but the DOI registry will be updated to reflect the new URLs.
- Will the RSS feeds I was using previously continue to feed to my RSS reader?
As our URLs are changing, the original RSS feeds will no longer feed to your RSS reader. You can set up new RSS feeds once the new pages are live.
- Will my personal subscriptions and/or articles I have purchased still be accessible?
Yes, you will still be able to access your personal subscription or any articles purchased pre-migration.
- Will my email alerts be transferred over to the new platform?
Some of the email alerts that you receive from us are transferrable and some are not.
If you are currently signed up to one of the following alert types, we have transferred these alerts across and you will shortly be contacted with further account information:
- Accepted manuscripts
- Latest published articles
- Table of contents or Table of contents awareness
If you are not signed up to one of the above, we will not be able to create a user account for you on the new system, but you will be able to do so easily once the new website is live.
For all alerts that are related to searches, i.e. citation alerts, correction alerts and keyword/author alerts, we are unable to transfer these over to the new system. If you would like to keep any searches, please take note of them now, so you can set them up again once we have moved to the new system. Further information on how to do this will be sent by email.
- Who do I contact if I have any further questions?
If you have any migration-related questions that are not covered above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as possible.