Sustainable Conferencing Grants
The Company of Biologists is offering Sustainable Conferencing Grants to fund innovative ideas that enable biologists to collaborate productively while minimising their impact on the environment.
Applications are invited from the organisers of a wide range of virtual activities, including – but not limited to – meetings, workshops, conferences, seminars, training, networking and sandpitting in the fields covered by our journals. Organisers are encouraged to come forward with innovative ideas, for example:
- Ideas that will reduce travel requirements and increase accessibility and inclusivity;
- Ideas that will improve interaction opportunities for geographically diverse participants;
- Ideas that will improve the ‘human’ experience of virtual meetings.
It is necessary under the law of England and Wales for grants to be provided on terms which enable us to verify, and monitor, that the funding provided has been put to proper use and is in furtherance of our charitable purposes. As such, our grants are subject to terms and conditions which are non-negotiable and it is for those applying for grants to decide whether or not to accept them on the terms offered.
Guidelines for completing the application form:
- The applicant who completes the form must be in the organising group for the event. Applications from professional fund-raisers or other grant giving institutions will not be considered.
- Incomplete application forms will not be considered.
- Information on the topics/programme outline and proposed speakers must be included with the application form.
- Funding requests must be in GB Pounds Sterling.
- Application forms and supporting information must be written in English.
Acknowledgement of funding:
As part of our agreement to provide funding, we request that should your application be successful, you acknowledge The Company of Biologists’ contribution to the event on your website and in any printed material circulated. We would ask that this acknowledgement include our company name, logo and web address. Upon grant approval, we will issue a non-negotiable Grant Agreement which will need to be signed and returned along with your bank details. We also require, within 3 months of the event taking place, a 250–500 word report which should include feedback on the tools used/support provided, describing what did and did not work, value for money and any ideas for future improvement. If you have any questions regarding these grants, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline dates, applicant handbook & FAQs
Deadline date for Sustainable Conferencing Grants:
- 17 May 2021 (decision w/c 12 July 2021)
- 23 August 2021 (decision w/c 11 October 2021)
- 08 November 2021 (decision w/c 17 January 2022)
- 06 April 2022 (decision w/c 09 May 2022)
- 06 June 2022 (decision w/c 11 July 2022)
- 07 September 2022 (decision w/c 10 October 2022)
Our applicant handbooks provide useful information on the process. Please click on the Sustainable Conferencing Grant applicant handbook to download.
Please submit your application in plenty of time as it can take up to six weeks to reach a decision from the deadline date.
When will I be notified of the outcome of my application?
Applications are initially evaluated by the Sustainable Conferencing Committee, who will select a short-list to be recommended to the Board of Directors. If your application is unsuccessful at this stage, you will be notified immediately. The Board of Directors then review the recommendations of the Sustainable Conferencing Committee, following which successful applicants will be contacted. You will be required to sign our non-negotiable Grants Agreement and provide bank details to enable funds to be electronically transferred.
What is the maximum funding available?
Although funding will generally be available up to a maximum of £2,500, we may award additional funding for innovation and encourage applicants to come forward with ideas.
Can we invoice The Company of Biologists for the value of the grant?
As this funding is a grant and not sponsorship, we do not require an invoice.
Can we request a change to the terms of the Grants Agreement?
It is not possible for The Company of Biologists to accept any changes to the Grants Agreement. If you are unable to accept the terms offered, we will consider your request for funding withdrawn.