1. Protecting your data
The Company of Biologists wants to share information and news about our products and services with you. We can do this in various ways including email, post, phone or social media, but only if you would like us to.
Your privacy is very important to us, which is why we make sure you are always in control of what we do with your personal data. To ensure your preferences are up-to-date email us at email@example.com
2. Our simple promise
- We will never pass your details to anyone outside The Company of Biologists for them to use for their own marketing purposes, unless you have previously provided us with your informed and specific consent.
- We will ensure that we obtain your express consent before we contact you by any method for any purpose.
- We will make sure our contact with you is relevant, to ensure that you are signed up the latest scientific news and research.
- You can change your data preferences at any time by emailing us ay firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your personal information will be stored safely and will remain secure at all times.
- No personal information will be kept any longer than necessary in order to fulfill the purpose it was collected for, and if you ask us as to, it will be deleted.
- We endeavor to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and all other applicable laws and EU Directives.
- The Company of Biologists wish to continue informing you of our latest research, therefore, please let us know if your details change so that we can keep in touch.
3. What information do we collect about users?
Browsing and viewing publicly accessible areas of the website does not require you to submit personal information to us. However, in order to have access to certain features, services, and parts of the website, you are required to submit certain personal information that relates to and identifies you. Personal information may for instance include your name, postal address, email address and/or telephone number.
4. Use of your information
4.1 We take significant steps to protect user privacy. However, no data transmission over the internet can be entirely secure and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information and/or use of the website. Any information that you send is at your own risk and may be read by others. However, once we have received your personal information we utilise strict procedures to protect the security of your personal information.
4.3 We process this information for the purpose of:
- dealing with your enquiries and requests
- providing and personalising our services
- compiling your profile
- detailing transactions you carry out through our website and the fulfilment of your orders
- crime prevention and prosecution of offenders (e.g. should CCTV footage be needed)
- maintaining information as a reference tool or general resource (e.g. cookies help us remember user’s preferences and are classed as personal data)
4.4 In general, we may use your personal information to:
- identify you when you re-visit the website
- ensure materials on the website are presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer
- improve the website. (e.g. cookies help us remember user’s preferences and are classed as personal data)
4.5 In respect of your personal information collected or processed in connection with website blogs or other interactive parts of the website, where you have expressly consented for us to do so, we may use your personal information to contact you to let you know about any of our other products or services. We may contact you by mail, fax, SMS text message, email or telephone provided that we have your prior permission.
4.6 We may also monitor your website usage (including your patterns of website usage) from time to time, although we are not obliged to do this and may in our sole discretion choose not to do so. Any such monitoring may involve the processing of your personal information. We may also provide aggregated website usage information to third parties, but this aggregated information will be anonymised and will not therefore include information that can be used to identify you.
4.7 You may modify your preferences or get further information by writing to the Data Protection Officer, The Company of Biologists, Bidder Building, Station Road, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9LF, UK or emailing email@example.com.
5. Disclosing your information
5.1 We may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in good faith believing such action is necessary to comply with the law. We will not sell or otherwise share your personal information with third parties without your consent except in the following instances.
5.1.1 Where you have agreed to be contacted by us, we may pass your personal information to third parties related to us. In all such cases we remain a data controller of your personal information.
5.1.2 Unless required by applicable law or if we are ordered to do so by a court or other similar body.
5.1.3 As we may think necessary to protect our legal rights, a registered user or third party.
5.1.4 We are approached by a potential acquirer of our business and/or assets or in relation to any joint venture or other business arrangement. In such circumstances we will be able to pass on your personal information to such third parties’ advisors and to any prospective acquirer, as well as to any other relevant parties.
6. Length of storage for your information
We are required to by HMRC to retain all financial transactions for a full seven years. We may also store your personal information for as long as necessary to complete any purchase or transaction enquiry with you. We will normally store your information for at least one year following the last recorded transaction or interaction between us.
7. Information Security
7.1 The internet is not a secure medium. However, we have put in place various security procedures as set out in this policy.
7.2 Please be aware that communications over the internet, such as emails/webmails are not secure unless they have been encrypted. Your communications may route through a number of countries before being delivered, as this is the nature of the internet. We cannot accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that is beyond our control.
7.3 We believe that we have appropriate policies, rules and technical measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control (with regard to the type and amount of that data) from unauthorised access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorised modification, unlawful destruction or accidental loss.
8. Accessing and updating your personal information
8.1 You have the right to access the personal information held about you. To obtain a copy of the personal information we hold about you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We reserve the right to charge you an administration fee of £10 for providing a copy of this information.
The Company of Biologists aims to be as open as possible in terms of giving people access to their personal information. Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by submitting a ‘Subject Access request’ form.
If we do hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it
- tell you why we are holding it
- tell you who it could be disclosed to
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form
If you agree, we will try to deal with your request informally, for example by providing you with the specific information you need over the telephone.
If we do hold information about you, you can ask us to correct any mistakes by contacting email@example.com.
9. Disclosure of personal information
In most circumstances we will not disclose personal data without consent. However, we will need to share personal information with the organisation concerned and with other relevant bodies in some situations, for example when we investigate a complaint. Further information is available in our Information Charter about the factors we shall consider when deciding whether information should be disclosed.
You can also get further information on:
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information (e.g. where we may forward your information to provide you a service)
- circumstances where we can pass on personal data without consent, for example, to prevent and detect crime and to produce anonymised statistics
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete personal data
- how we check that the information we hold is accurate and up to date.
10. Subject Access request
If you write to us requesting a copy of your personal information, you will have the right to be provided with a copy of all personal information we hold about you. Please visit www.biologists.com for a copy of our ‘Subject Access request’ form.
11. How do I change my personal details?
11.1 We want to ensure that we provide you with the best possible service. Please keep us updated of any changes to your personal information, for example, if your email address changes. If you have registered as a user of the website in connection with a blog or similar interactive part of the website, you are requested to update your personal information using the online facilities provided. Otherwise, you can update your personal information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Right to be forgotten
We may be required to archive your personal information, however, we will not retain personal data for longer than is necessary, or for other reasons than the purpose we obtained it, and only in accordance with our Document Retention Policy. You have the right to request that we delete your personal information and in certain circumstances, i.e. where the purpose for collecting your personal information no longer exists and we are not obligated to retain all or any part of your personal information for legal reasons.
13. Suppression lists
Should you wish to withdraw your consent from a mailing list, we will maintain a suppression list in accordance with the Data Protection Regulation.
14. Withdrawing your consent
Should you wish to withdraw your consent you can do so by amending your data preferences by emailing us at email@example.com. For further information you can visit www.biologists.com
15. Other countries and storing your information
16. Data Portability
You can request that your personal data is transferred directly to another ‘data controller’ at any time. In order to do so please contact us in writing with your request.
17. What does providing us with this information mean?
The Company of Biologists Limited
Registered on Data Protection Public Register under number Z5687555
If you are not happy with the way your information is being handled, or with the response received from us, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF.