About DMM Conference Travel Grants
DMM Conference Travel Grants are aimed at early-career researchers wanting to attend scientific meetings, conferences, workshops and courses relating to the areas of research covered by the journal. Each application will be judged on the excellence of the candidate and any work being presented in a talk or poster.
Applicants will usually be PhD students and post-doctoral researchers at the beginning of their research careers, using the funding to support their travel.
We also welcome applications from independent group leaders and PIs with no independent funding, seeking support to attend meetings, conferences, workshops, courses, PI laboratory management courses and courses to re-train.
Please review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before completing and submitting your application.
Note: We are unable to pay awards to recipients in jurisdictions, countries or regions of the world subject to sanctions, embargoes or other political trade restrictions put in place by the United Nations, the EU or the UK.
Deadline dates for applications:
- 17 August 2018 (for travel after 5 October 2018)
- 09 November 2018 (for travel after 17 December 2018)
- 8 March 2019 (for travel after 22 April 2019)
- 13 May 2019 (for travel after 24 June 2019)
- 19 August 2019 (for travel after 30 September 2019)
- 8 November 2019 (for travel after 16 December 2019)
Please complete your application in plenty of time as it can take up to six weeks after the deadline date to reach a decision.
Please apply via our online portal.
Guidelines for application:
- Maximum funding is set at £400 within the home country and at £600 for meetings overseas.
- The amount given depends on demand and may provide only a portion of the requested funding.
- Applicants who are presenting talks or displaying posters might be looked on more favourably than those who are not.
- DMM does not fund applications made retrospectively, so please submit your application in good time.
- DMM reserves the right to reject applications to attend conferences or workshops that it considers to be possibly ‘predatory’ in design. We strongly encourage applicants to judge the legitimacy and credentials of conferences to help decide whether or not to attend. The Think.Check.Attend initiative might be useful in this regard.
- The date of travel must occur within six months of funding being awarded.
- Unsuccessful applicants may not submit a new application within 12 months of their initial application.
- Applicants should not have received other funding from The Company of Biologists in the past 12 months.
- Funding of multiple applications from the same lab or department will be limited.
Guidelines for completing the application:
- The application and all supporting documents must be completed in English.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the criteria required for a grant.
- Expenses include travel, subsistence, accommodation and visa fees. Travel insurance costs are not to be included in the expenses.
Please upload the following documents to your application (note: all letters of support must be in English, on headed paper and signed).
- For PhD students and post-doctoral researchers: a supporting letter from your supervisor confirming your status.
- For independent group leaders and PIs: a supporting letter from your Head of Department confirming that no independent funding is available to attend meetings and courses.
- A short justification for your proposal outlining why you should be awarded the grant.
- A copy of any abstract submitted to the meeting or conference for which funding is requested.
- Curriculum Vitae.
Terms and conditions for successful applicants:
- Support from DMM and The Company of Biologists must be acknowledged in any presentations given or posters displayed at the meeting or course (logo will be supplied).
- Any unspent funds must be returned within one month of the end of the travel.
- If for any reason you do not attend the conference, workshop or course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also arrange for the funds to be returned, in full.
- You must keep all of the receipts related to your visit to upload on the portal on your return.
- You must provide a 250-word meeting report and at least two bright, clear photographs.
- We might use material from DMM Conference Travel Grant reports on our website, social media and other promotional materials.