Read & Publish for researchers
Our Read & Publish Open Access initiative has a wide range of benefits for researchers at participating institutions. These include:
- unlimited access to new and archive content in our subscription journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science and Journal of Experimental Biology
- immediate, uncapped and APC-free publishing of Open Access research articles by corresponding authors in our three subscription journals or, from 2022, our subscription journals plus our fully Open Access journals – Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open
- CC BY licence terms with authors retaining copyright
- easy compliance with funders’ open access mandates
- higher visibility of articles
- no barriers to sharing and reuse
If your institution is not on the list here, you may wish to contact your library to find out if they are planning to participate in our Read & Publish initiative soon.
View our Read & Publish – benefits for researchers flier.
What do authors say?
We have had great feedback from authors.
Dr Jacques Behmoaras, Imperial College London, UK, said:
I was very pleased to publish Open Access in Journal of Cell Science with no fees nor time-consuming admin processes. The clear advantages are rapid and efficient exposure and easy access to my article around the world. I believe it is great to have this publishing option in fast-growing fields in biomedical research.
Professor Talila Volk, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel, said:
I was delighted to have our paper published Open Access for free in Development. This is due to a special Read & Publish deal between my research institute – the Weizmann Institute of Science – and The Company of Biologists. Publishing Open Access exposes my article to a wide variety of readers who do not have access to the journal.
How to submit a Read & Publish Open Access article
You can view our step-by-step guide for Read & Publish authors here.
Any questions? Contact us to find out more