Read & Publish Open Access initiative
The Company of Biologists has been committed to Open Access since 2004 because we believe that immediate and free availability of high-quality research helps us to achieve our mission of advancing excellence in the biological and biomedical sciences worldwide.
We were one of the first not-for-profit journal publishers to launch a cost-neutral Read & Publish initiative and over 375 institutions in more than 25 countries are participating. We have agreements with library consortia in six countries and an agreement with an international library organisation covering a further 30 countries.
What are Read & Publish agreements?
Available to libraries and library consortia for a single annual fee, our standard Read & Publish agreements offer unlimited “read” access to our three subscription journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science and Journal of Experimental Biology – plus uncapped fee-free Open Access publishing of research articles.
From 2022, libraries can also choose to include our two fully Open access journals – Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open – in their Read & Publish agreement.
What are the benefits of Read & Publish agreements?
- unlimited access to our three subscription journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science and Journal of Experimental Biology – including the full archive dating back to 1853 (even if your library does not currently subscribe to them all)
- free and uncapped publishing of Open Access research articles for all corresponding authors under CC BY licence terms, with authors retaining copyright in our subscriptions journals OR, from 2022, our subscription journals PLUS our Open Access journals – Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open
- compliant with funder mandates including Plan S
- transparent, cost-neutral pricing calculated on the basis of current subscription spend plus the annual average APC spend (if any) over the last three years
- reduces admin – single fee covers both reading and publishing and multi-year agreements are available
- easy to switch from a subscription to a Read & Publish agreement
- automatic recognition of corresponding authors and straightforward submission process
Find out more
- Participating institutions and library consortia
- Information for libraries
- Information for library consortia
- Information for researchers and authors, including a step-by-step guide for corresponding authors
Any questions? Please contact us.